Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Useless Perforce Error

In my work existence, I support the Perforce Source Code Management (SCM) tool. Occasionally, I find examples of error messages in Perforce that tell you nothing about what is wrong. I will try to enumerate those here as I find them.
  • must sync before integrating — One occasion that this message shows up, is when the user is attempting to branch a file, but both the source and destination depot locations are mapped by the client spec to the same client location. This creates a name collision, hence the error. Obviously, this can only happen in a client spec using plus mappings. The solution is to either temporarily remove one of the mappings, or to have a reserved "branching" client spec sitting around that you use just for these kinds of occasions. The branching client would contain a single mapping //depot/... //client/... and be free from collision issues.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was useful for me today! Thanks :)

Anonymous said...

You probably saved me a whole hour today. :)

Anonymous said...

I was so confused until I found this post via Google. Thanks a million!

Unknown said...

Thanks a bunch. That error sure was useless :P

Kyle said...

Helped me too! Thanks!

Kyle said...

Helped me too, thanks!

Eric Garber said...

Wow! Thank you so much for posting this. I've been struggling with this problem, and you just saved me a lot of time :D

kage said...

wow.. never in a million years would i have figured that one! =)