Sunday, February 12, 2006

Half-Circle Skirt

My first attempt at a circle skirt, this one for my youngest daughter. She loves skirts that twirl, and can never have enough of them. Actually, this is a half-circle skirt.

No pattern involved, after all who needs a pattern for a half-circle skirt?! :-) The fabric was a nice, soft handed pink woven cotton/poly blend that floated well; very important when twirling. It was on the $1 table at Wal*Mart, so I couldn't go wrong even if things did not work out.

Attaching the waistband was one trick I learned, after making the mistake of trying to merely roll over the waist section of the circle on the muslin test item. I mentioned the difficulty to Mom and she set me straight.

Then I learned how to use the blind hem stitch on the sewing machine while hemming the thing. Not the most obvious technique around, let me tell you, but Kate Dicey's page on using the Blind Hem Stitch was a great help!

In the end, my daughter loved the skirt, she can twirl to her heart's content, and it brightened what was otherwise a troublesome weekend as she got over her wintertime cold. Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so impressed with this skirt! It turned out lovely and you daughter is a cutie too! Good job dad! I think it's great that you're learning to sew...Way to go Charles!

Nora