Monday, December 27, 2004

Merry Christmas

So, what is with the dislike of the greeting, "Merry Christmas"? I understand that some feel it is inappropriate to use, since the recipient of the greeting may not accept the Christian viewpoint. However, do you seriously look for everyone to adapt themselves to you? Or is it more appropriate for each of us to adapt to each other?
I have tried to think about this by considering how would I react to receiving a greeting of "Happy Hanukkah" or "Plentiful Kwanza". I am not Jewish, and I do not accept Dr. Maulana Karenga's alternative holiday. Never the less, if I were to be so greeted I would not subject the greeter to a long discourse about my objections. Nor would I reject their attempt at greeting. Such an effort on the part of another is an expression of blessing, originating in their specific world-view, and intending to communicate friendliness and hope for the future.
What could be wrong with that?

No comments: